What you need to know
Foundation T Levels are perfect for anyone who would like to progress onto a T Level or similar qualification.
Click on the questions below to learn more about Foundation T Levels at Cornwall College.
A Foundation T Level will help you develop your skills and prepare you for the next level. It’s a one-year post-GCSE course designed to get you T Level ready. It will give you relevant knowledge, practical and study skills, work experience and support tailored to you and your chosen T Level subject area.
You can expect to:
- gain technical knowledge and practical skills relevant to your chosen T Level subject area
- get ready for your T Level with industry work experience and preparation
- develop industry-relevant English and maths skills, and digital skills
- benefit from focused individual support and personal development
- plan the right next step for you – and get the skills to succeed when you get there
Foundation T Levels are already being delivered across The Cornwall College Group.
Foundation T Levels are for young people aged 16 to 19. Like other courses for 16 to 19-year-olds, these courses are fully funded and will cost you nothing. Those with an EHCP are able to do these courses fully funded until the age of 24.
Not everyone will do a Foundation T Level. The College has a wide range of courses that are different levels and offer different progression routes.
T Levels have entry requirements that are similar to A Levels, and not everyone will achieve these grades by the end of the Year 11. Those who are in this category but have a strong desire to complete a T Level will get the chance to discuss completing a Foundation T Level programme during the application process.
There is a place for everyone at The Cornwall College Group and will work with you to find the right level of course to support your career ambitions and see you on the path to success. Those who aren’t suited to a Foundation T Level will be signposted to other courses and routes into employment.
A Foundation T Level will help you develop knowledge, skills and behaviours across five key areas to prepare you for your chosen T Level subject area.
Industry-relevant Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Study technical content custom-built to prepare for your chosen T Level subject area, designed with employers to get you ready for T Level.
- Complete a small project in your chosen area – for example, working to find a solution to a real industry problem.
- Learn about different T Levels and career options and get help to choose the right path for you.
Knowledge and Skills for the Workplace
- Develop the knowledge and behaviours to excel in the workplace and the skills that employers value most, like communication and teamwork.
- Put this into practice with high-quality work experience – you will have opportunities to meet employers and experience real workplaces – getting you ready for the T Level industry placement.
Positive Attitude and Behaviours
- Take ownership of your development – you will get help to set goals and plan how to achieve them, plus regular feedback to stay on track.
- Develop practical strategies to build your confidence and resilience.
- Get opportunities for enrichment activities – for example, volunteering in your chosen area or taking part in a social action project.
Skills for Successful Study
- Learn how to study effectively – you will develop strategies to plan your learning and manage your time.
- Build your confidence with opportunities to practise the types of assessments you will encounter at T Level – from practicals to projects.
English, Maths and Digital Skills
- Learn how to apply the English, maths and digital skills that matter in your chosen industry.
- Continue working towards achieving a GCSE grade 4 or Functional Skills Level 2 in English and/or maths if you do not already have this.
At present, you can apply for Foundation T Levels in the following subjects:
Need more information?
Foundation T Levels at Cornwall College
Find out more at one of our Open Events
Discover our courses, apprenticeships, tour our campuses and meet our amazing team!
9th March 2024, 10:00am – 12:00pm