Funding Support and College Bursaries
What is the purpose of the Adult Education Budget (AEB)?
The AEB is a funding stream that helps adults (19+ year-olds) to gain the skills they need in order to; retrain and change careers, upskill to progress in a chosen career or to gain qualifications to access higher level learning. Funding is also available to bring communities together which allows free courses to be run without qualifications which are linked to local needs.
Who and what can be funded?
AEB funding is focused on specific provision, for particular groups of learners, and can be fully funded or co-funded. See below for a quick overview:
- Full funding can be available for certain courses (there are over 5000 on the list) at Level 2 and Level 3 for adults who do have not previously got a full Level 3 qualification, other courses might be ‘co-funded.’
- All math and English qualifications are free (upto GCSE) for 19+ learners who have not previously attained a GCSE grade C or grade 4, or higher, in English and maths.
- Free Digital Skills Qualifications are available for adults who don’t have the basic digital skills they need for life and work.
- If you are unemployed or receive benefits then courses can be free or ‘co-funded’
- If you are in receipt of a low-wage (threshold has been increased to £18,525 and it doesn’t matter if you are self-employed) then courses can be free.
What does ‘co-funded’ mean?
In some cases, the government expect learners and employers to share responsibility for investing in eligible provision and a learner is ‘co-funded’.
Advanced Learner Loans
These are loans very much like a student loan and do not need to be paid back until you are earning over a certain wage (£27,295) Advanced learner loans are available for individuals aged 19 or above to undertake approved qualifications at levels 3 to level 6. Advanced learner loans are paid directly to the college or training organisation on behalf of an individual. Advanced Learner Loans are not means tested or subject to credit checks and any individual who meets the criteria will be able to apply for a loan regardless of their current employment status.
Bursaries are available
The Cornwall College Group (TCCG) is committed to helping as many adults as possible to access our courses. Bursaries are available to support our adult learners and can help pay for travel costs, course fees, equipment (including laptops) childcare and much more.
For advice on funding, bursaries or anything else please get in touch…..