Horticulture is a modern, professional vocation that influences our environment, how we eat, how we relax, our health, life expectancy and well-being. This programme is offered at the world renowned Eden Project in Cornwall and has been designed specifically to allow you to explore many aspects of horticulture including applied science, sustainability and design. It provides opportunities to gain and reflect on practical experience in two distinct work placements. The programme will also provide you with the skills and experience to prepare for an interesting, exciting and rewarding career which embraces tradition, technology and innovation.
Both the programme of study and student experience are greatly enhanced through the collaboration between Cornwall College and the Eden Project. The range of resources including Eden’s own plant collections, growing environments, nursery and dedicated teaching facilities, coupled with the nationally renowned micro-propagation research facility, provide a world-class platform from which this exciting and stimulating programme will be delivered.
You will quickly become integrated within the Eden Project and, in addition to attending the carefully designed taught modules, will have the opportunity to apply and develop a wide range of practical skills by participating in activities in the tropical and Mediterranean biomes, the outdoor garden and nursery crop production facility. As well as benefiting from working alongside Eden’s skilled and specialist horticulturalists, you will also undertake a work placement within another commercial enterprise.
In the final year of your study you will undertake a piece of novel research, for which it is encouraged to make full use of the available facilities to explore industry-related issues, that will enhance your CV on successful completion of the course.
Possible Progression (subject to availability)
– BSc (Hons) Horticulture (Plant Science)* final year at the Eden Project
– BSc (Hons) Horticulture (Garden & Landscape Design)* final year at the Eden Project
* Note that entry to these programmes is by accredited prior learning and may require bridging work
– Commercial Crop Producer
– Estate Garden Worker
– Garden and Landscape Design Technician
– Horticultural Retailer
– Glasshouse Technician
– Municipal Parks and Gardens Worker
– Nursery Stock Producer
– Community Project Worker
- UCAS Code: D403
- Institution codes: DUCHY D55
48 UCAS points (32 from A2 Level). Plus GCSEs at grade C or above in English language and maths. Mature applicants with relevant experience but without the stated qualifications will be considered individually and are encouraged to apply.
Share this course with someone you know...
Indicative Module Year 1
- Personal & Employability Skills Development
- Research Skills
- Introduction to Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
- Introduction to Botany
- Plant Use in the Landscape
- Horticulture in Practice 1 (including work placement)
- Garden & Landscape Design 1: Foundation - Space, Place & User- Classification & Taxonomy
Indicative Module Year 2
- Research Project
- Plant Growth & Development
- Plant Ecology
- Horticulture in Practice 2 (including work placement)
- Garden & Landscape Design 2: Planning & People
- Garden Landscape Histories: Theories & Contexts
- Plant Pathology- Ethnobotany
*Modules are subject to change and availability
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.
Careers advice available
If you are considering an undergraduate programme with us, you may wish to access our free Careers and Employability advice service. This gives you the opportunity to talk with an advisor about career options before, during and after your study with us. To make an appointment, please e-mail: H.E.Advice@cornwall.ac.uk
If you come into the International category (non EU*) and Channel Island (inc. Isle of Man) the tuition fee may vary – click here for full fee information