About the course
A horse care apprenticeship is the ideal way to earn money whilst gaining a nationally recognised qualification. The provision is open to anyone aged 16+ years provided that you meet current eligibility.
You must be fully employed in your chosen career path and hold a genuine interest in your area of work, demonstrating enthusiasm and a strong determination to succeed.
2 GCSEs at grade D or above are essential - however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications will be considered, and must be prepared to work towards a level 2 functional skills qualification in English and Maths.
What will I do on the course?
This level can take up to eighteen months to complete where you will work towards the
Level 2 Work-based Diploma and technical qualification. On this programme you will develop and demonstrate competence in the following areas:
• Maintain health and well-being of horses
• Preparing horses for use
• Supervision, riding and exercising
• Feeding and welfare
• Cleaning of stables
• Loading and unloading horses under supervision
• Ensure own actions reduce risks to health and safety
• Maintain effective working relationships
• Health and safety with horses certification (technical certificate)
• Functional skills or key skills (where applicable)
• Emergency first aid
• Employment rights and responsibilities
In addition to the above, a further specialist pathway will be undertaken relating to:
• Care of performance horses
• Leading a trek
• Assisting riders with special needs
• Reproduction and care of young stock
These apprenticeships are delivered at our Duchy College Stoke Climsland campus with possibilities at Rosewarne or an industry based venue. This normally means one day each week spent at college and the remaining four days in the workplace with your employer.
You will be assigned a Liaison Officer who will also visit you at your workplace to offer you further support and guidance.
What can I do after the course?
On successful completion you can commence work in the industry using your practical skills or progress onto the advanced work based diploma in horse care, further or higher education opportunities.