This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
Share this course with someone you know...
You want a career in the health and fitness industry or you would like to gain a level 2 qualification before progressing to further study.
Candidates must be over 16 at time of interview and have a passion for the fitness industry.
Having a grade C or level 2 equivalent in English and Maths is desirable – if you do not hold one or either of these qualifications the college can support you to complete these alongside this course as part of your study programme*.
*more information available on request
You will be required to complete a pre-course workbook and complete a mock examination during your induction day to assess your level of anatomy & physiology knowledge
If you have acheived a level 2 qualification previous we will be looking for a minimum of a Merit in the anatomy & physiology units.
You will be taught by highly qualified and voacionally experienced lecturers at both sites.
The topics you will study are as follows;
- anatomy and physiology including:
– the heart and circulatory system
– the respiratory system
– structure and function of the skeleton
– musculoskeletal system
– postural and core stability
– the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercie
- anatomy and physiology including:
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- the skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults – both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed
To attend college 2 full days a week, days TBC. Attendance of 95% is compulsory unless extenuating circumstances apply.
You will be assessed in the following ways:
- by compleing various Worksheets
- 1 x A&P Theory Exam
- 1 x Exercise, Fitness & Health Theory Exam
- 1 Hour Practical Exam
Formative, mock examinations with be carried out throughout the programme to support you in preparation for the theory exams.
Upon successful completion of the YMCA Level 2 Fitness Instructing Gym Based Exercise course, students will be able to programme and instruct in the gym environment carrying out safe practice.
Upon successful completion of the level 2 course and a successful interview you may then be able to progress onto the a YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training which includes nutrition, fitness testing and personal training programming and delivery.
On completion of the YMCA Level 2 Fitness Instructing Exercise to Music course, students will have the skills and knowledge to programme and deliver safe and effective exercise to music sessions for a range of clients.
All courses allow successful learners to apply to be on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS). This means that they meet strict industry standards to deliver exercise advice and/or demonstration. To protect the public, all registered exercise professionals are bound by a code of ethical practice that covers professional standards and conduct.
At both campus’s we also look to employ apprentices qualified in gym instructing to run our campus gyms and complete an apprenticeship in Personal Training – more information available on request.
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.