This programme is designed for people with a strong interest in biology and the environment, who would like to develop their scientific skills and knowledge before progressing to higher level qualifications, or to employment in the applied biology sector. You will study a range of modules covering the development of laboratory management, applied scientific skills, biology and ecology. As part of your HND studies you will design and carry out a research project in which you will investigate a topic of your choice.
The HND programmes at The Cornwall College Group help you to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes that are essential for successful progression to employment in scientific industries. The programmes are taught in well-equipped laboratories with small group sizes and an exceptional degree of academic tutorial support. They provide opportunities for learners to focus on the development of higher level skills in a science and technological context.
Successful completion of the HND Applied Biology to a good standard provides evidence that you have obtained the skills and knowledge to work in a laboratory environment or progress onto BSc studies.
The HND Applied Biology has been designed in collaboration with employers in the UK STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) sector and is endorsed by the Society of Biology.
Possible Progression (subject to availability)
– BSc (Hons) Environmental Resource Management (top-up) at Camborne
– Laboratory Manager
– Quality Control Technician
– Research Assistant
- UCAS Code: 83N2
- Institution codes: CORN C78
- Awarded by: Pearson
- Fees: Fees Explained
48 UCAS points (32 from A2 Level, preferably in a science subject). Plus GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, maths and science.
The Cornwall College Group delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.Find out more about TEF
Share this course with someone you know...
Indicative Modules Year 1
- Cell Biology (core)
- Human Health and Nutrition (optional)
- Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology (core)
- Analysis of Scientific Data and Information (core)
- Laboratory Management (optional)
- Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals (optional)
- Work Based Investigation (optional)
- Chemistry for Applied Biologists (optional)
Indicative Modules Year 2
- Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways (core)
- Project for Applied Science (core)
- Molecular Biology and Genetics (optional)
- Pharmacological Principles of Drug Actions (optional)
- The Immune Response System (optional)
- Infectious Diseases (optional)
- Industrial Microbiology (optional)
- Environmental Monitoring and Analysis (optional)
*Modules are subject to change and availability
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.
Careers advice available
If you are considering an undergraduate programme with us, you may wish to access our free Careers and Employability advice service. This gives you the opportunity to talk with an advisor about career options before, during and after your study with us. To make an appointment, please e-mail: H.E.Advice@cornwall.ac.uk
If you come into the International category (non EU*) and Channel Island (inc. Isle of Man) the tuition fee may vary – click here for full fee information