The Butcher Apprenticeship Standard Level 2 covers health and safety, food safety and understanding the industry. During the course you will learn:
- Principles of butchery and meat and poultry species
- Handling and welfare of livestock
- The safe movement of meat and poultry
- Slaughter practices
- Traceability in the procurement and supply of meat
- Knife skills including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing
- Learning a range of primary and secondary butchery skills
- Making sausages, burgers, pies or pasties
- Weighing products, temperature control, cold storage, wrapping, sealing, labelling and stock control
- Packing methods for wholesale and retail sale
- Principles of waste minimisation, saleable yield and predictive costing methods
- Counter sales environment, including cash administration, retail display, stock systems for Retail butchers
The following qualifications will be awarded on successful achievement:
- Level 2 Food Safety Award
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Food Supply Chain Award
- Level 2 Knife Skills Award
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, apprentices are recognised by the Institute of Meat (IoM) entitling them to use the initials M.Inst.M.
Optional HACCP Level 2 course at a cost of £75
Share this course with someone you know...
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.