Sport EDEXCEL BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3
Who is this course for?
Students who would like to:
- Gain a 3 A-Level equivalent qualification.
- Enjoy practical sport or outdoor pursuits activities
- Gain a range of National Governing Body coaching qualifications that make you employable in the sports, leisure and outdoor industry.
- Undertake a work placement.
- Gain experiences in competitive sport on a weekly basis.
For students who are thinking of becoming a PE Teacher, Sports Coach, Fitness Instructor, Event Manager or Sports Development Officer, or for those who enjoy sport and the outdoors, and would like to enhance their experience, knowledge and skills before progressing into employment or university.
Students should have:
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above, ideally in Maths, English, Science (and/or PE);
- An equivalent Level 2 qualification at Merit
- ideally Level 2 equivalent in Key Skills or Functional Skills for Communication and Numeracy
What will I be doing on the course?
- You will undertake 19 units over the two years spread across four 16 week semesters.
- You will be taught the theoretical principles for all units and given the opportunity to apply these in a variety of practical settings, e.g. sports coaching & leadership or organising an event with primary school groups; fitness testing and training for different clients and analysis of performance.
- Assessments are planned throughout the two years for each unit. They will take on a variety of formats such as verbal, observation and written coursework.
- You will also have the opportunity to gain National Governing Body awards in sporting activities and gain first aid qualifications.
- The option to compete for the College on a Wednesday in the British Colleges Leagues.
What can I do after the course?
You will be able to:
- progress internally onto one of our Foundation Degree programmes
- progress into employment in the sports or outdoor/watersports industry
- progress onto another Higher Education Institution
There will be additional costs for field trips, NGB registration costs and kit/equipment requirements specific to your course.
* If you are aged 16 -19 courses are usually FREE, however, there are some exceptions e.g. Professional Accredited Courses, Microsoft Academy and some short courses. If you are over 19 you will be expected to pay a course fee, however, you may be eligible for FREE tuition if you are in receipt of certain benefits or it is the first qualification you are undertaking. If you would like someone to explain course fees in more detail, in relation to your own personal circumstances, please call Customer Enquiries on 0845 22 32 567.