NEWS IN DETAIL...
Students celebrate Iconic Cornwall
Cornwall College students hosted Iconic Cornwall at the Camborne campus last week to celebrate the unique identity of Cornwall and the arrival of the Olympic Flame in the county.
The event, which consisted of a conference with guest speakers focusing on the Cornish tourism industry in the morning and a series of Cornish-themed workshops in the afternoon, was organised and developed by a group of Events Management foundation degree students as part of their course.
Tanya Bellingham, Curriculum Area Manager for Travel & Tourism, said: "The students have worked very hard to co-ordinate a great event, which ran really smoothly and all the delegates seemed to enjoy. It was also good for the students to see the amount of work and preparation involved in hosting such an event and gave them a great chance to meet key stakeholders in the industry and find out about the issues they face first-hand."
Manda Brookman, Executive Director of Cornwall Sustainable Tourism (CoaST) who was invited to speak at the conference, said: "The students have done a great job in holding this event. Their hospitality was very welcoming and there was a great range of speakers who were really animated and passionate about their topics. It was also a great opportunity for people in our industry to get together and I really feel that events like this are beneficial for everyone involved."
Sandy and Gary Pulfrey, owners of The Hen House in Tregarne, a bed and breakfast in Manaccan near Helston, attended the conference in the morning. Sandy said: "This was a very good conference and the speakers were outstanding and really interesting."
Gary added: "Normally at these events all the talking happens in the breaks, so it was great to have a chance to discuss things with others. I think we can definitely use the information we've found out today within our business."
Abi Beckett, 21 from Redruth, was one of the students involved in organising the event and delivered the opening and closing speeches in addition to introducing each guest speaker. Abi said: "My role today involved public speaking, which I've never done before, so this was a great confidence boost for me and something I can now use in future job roles. I think the event was a great success and even though the planning was stressful at times, I've thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it."
Dave Linnell, Principal of Cornwall College, said: "Events like this really highlight the quality and experience of our teaching staff at the College, and their ability to pass on their knowledge to our students, resulting in successful, relevant and highly praised events such as this one. I would like to congratulate all those involved and I'm glad that both the students and the attendees found it so beneficial."
- Access Courses
- Arts and Media
- Automotive Engineering
- Built Environment
- Business and Secretarial
- Community Education (Leisure Courses)
- Education and Teaching
- Foundation Studies
- Hair, Beauty and Holistics
- Early Years and Health Care
- Hotel and Catering Studies
- IT and Computing
- Leisure, Tourism and Sport
- Public Services
- Social Work, Social Sciences and Healthcare Professions
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 22nd May 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 29th May 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Affiliated Cornish Dressage Festival from 1st Jun 2013 to 2nd Jun 2013
- Unaffiliated Cornish Dressage Festival - 2nd Jun 2013, 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 5th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 12th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 19th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Open Day & Summer Food Festival from 22nd Jun 2013 to 23rd Jun 2013
- Duchy College Rosewarne Open Day - 23rd Jun 2013, 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Information Morning - 23rd Nov 2013, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 25th Jan 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 15th Mar 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Students use St George to help fundraise for charity - Posted: 29th Apr 2013
- Free Art workshops at Camborne throughout May - Posted: 26th Apr 2013
- Magical Disney trip for students - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- Celebrity chefs launch forum at Cornwall College - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- dBs MUSIC CORNWALL OPEN EVENT & MUSIC INDUSTRY SEMINAR - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- World forum beckons for college's ex student - Posted: 18th Apr 2013
- Ryan produces quality videos for industry - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Global menus go down a treat at Cornwall College - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Top NUS roles for former A-level students - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Challenging the perceptions of industry? - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Grace Jones' bass player inspires college students - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Education event success for college - Posted: 9th Apr 2013
- Power of photography helps college celebrate diversity - Posted: 3rd Apr 2013
- Art students create and design exhibition at Heartlands - Posted: 26th Mar 2013
- College hosts beauty day for salon owners - Posted: 19th Mar 2013
Cornwall College Camborne