NEWS IN DETAIL...
Students undertake work placement at RCH Treliske
Students at Cornwall College studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care have spent a full week at Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske learning the ropes from professionals about what it's like to work in a busy county hospital.
The students experienced a wide range of activities including listening to guest speakers and visiting specialist areas within the hospital grounds. Students were spoken to by the midwifery supervisor at Treliske who explained how the maternity ward works on a day-to-day basis and how their care goes beyond the hospital doors and into the community. During this part of the work placement the students were given a tour of the maternity ward including the ultrasound room whereby expectant mothers get to see and hear their baby for the first time.
Kerry-Ann Johns, 17 from Camborne, said: "This was a very interesting experience learning about the different aspects to each profession."
The Sterile Services Department provided the students with an insight into the checks that sterilising staff make to ensure that patients are protected during any form of surgery. The instruments used are washed, checked, re-washed, and sterilised. The students were also shown around the haematology department.
It was then the students' chance to learn various techniques on one of the ‘model bodies' that are at Treliske for training purposes. They were able to practise drawing blood, intubation, measuring vital signs and many other things. There is also a ‘simulation man' that breathes and moves in a very life-like fashion which allows training to be as accurate as possible. Gaby Gerred-Hart, 17 from Penryn, said: "The week really has helped us to find out what we actually want to become in life and all the health care professions we didn't know even existed."
Students were also given classes and practical lessons around first aid practices, anaesthetic procedures as well as x-ray and CT scanning.
Carolyn Harper, Programme Leader for Health & Social Care at Cornwall College Camborne, said: "The staff at Treliske are so enthusiastic and interesting; it has given our students so much more to think about for their future careers and university applications. The facilities are excellent and provide the students with the opportunity to experience a wide range of the roles that the staff undertake. It must have taken a lot of organising, so a very big thank you to all the staff at the hospital involved in putting together and delivering such a varied and informative week for our students."
Dave Linnell, Principal for Cornwall College, said: "This is an invaluable experience for our students to learn first-hand from the professionals that one day they will call their colleagues. I am grateful to all the staff at Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske for showing around and speaking to our students."
- Access Courses
- Arts and Media
- Automotive Engineering
- Built Environment
- Business and Secretarial
- Community Education (Leisure Courses)
- Education and Teaching
- Foundation Studies
- Hair, Beauty and Holistics
- Early Years and Health Care
- Hotel and Catering Studies
- IT and Computing
- Leisure, Tourism and Sport
- Public Services
- Social Work, Social Sciences and Healthcare Professions
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 29th May 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Affiliated Cornish Dressage Festival from 1st Jun 2013 to 2nd Jun 2013
- Unaffiliated Cornish Dressage Festival - 2nd Jun 2013, 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 5th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 12th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 19th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Open Day & Summer Food Festival from 22nd Jun 2013 to 23rd Jun 2013
- Duchy College Rosewarne Open Day - 23rd Jun 2013, 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Information Morning - 23rd Nov 2013, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 25th Jan 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 15th Mar 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Students use St George to help fundraise for charity - Posted: 29th Apr 2013
- Free Art workshops at Camborne throughout May - Posted: 26th Apr 2013
- Magical Disney trip for students - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- Celebrity chefs launch forum at Cornwall College - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- dBs MUSIC CORNWALL OPEN EVENT & MUSIC INDUSTRY SEMINAR - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- World forum beckons for college's ex student - Posted: 18th Apr 2013
- Ryan produces quality videos for industry - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Global menus go down a treat at Cornwall College - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Top NUS roles for former A-level students - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Challenging the perceptions of industry? - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Grace Jones' bass player inspires college students - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Education event success for college - Posted: 9th Apr 2013
- Power of photography helps college celebrate diversity - Posted: 3rd Apr 2013
- Art students create and design exhibition at Heartlands - Posted: 26th Mar 2013
Cornwall College Camborne