NEWS IN DETAIL...
Gold standard dining
Two eating establishments at Cornwall College Camborne have received Gold Awards for the second year running, maintaining the College's status as the only campus in the county to achieve this for each of its commercial and academic catering outlets.
Trevenson Restaurant and Cafe Metro have been judged as part of the CHEFS (Cornwall, Healthier Eating and Food Safety) Award and awarded gold status for both training and non-training catering outlets, with Trevenson being one of five fine dining establishments in the county to achieve the accolade.
The CHEFS award was launched in October 2005 and is awarded by the Food Safety and Trading Standards in conjunction with Cornwall Council. It aims to promote safe, sustainable and nutritious food sourcing to improve health and well-being and support the local economy.
Councillor Kim Willoughby, who represents Carn Brea South, and Cornwall Council's Environmental Health Officer Malcolm Ball attended the Camborne campus recently to present staff and students with the award.
Kim said: "I think it's fantastic that the College has achieved this and commend everyone for hard work in offering healthy and sustainable menu choices."
Malcolm added: "This is a great achievement for the College and its staff, but especially for the students, in maintaining such a high standard."
Mark Devonshire, one of the lecturers in the Retail and Service Industries faculty at Cornwall College Camborne who has worked with the students to achieve this award, said: "It's become more important now for people to eat healthily and know exactly what they're eating, so we've worked really hard to develop menus that are healthier and cater for different dietary requirements. It's also a great experience for the students, as they have to really take this into consideration when planning and preparing their menus and dishes."
Dave Linnell, Principal of Cornwall College said, "We are very conscientious at Cornwall College in providing healthy, sustainable food choices, for our staff and students. I would like to congratulate everyone involved in achieving this award and thank them for their tremendous efforts in helping us demonstrate the highest possible standards of food hygiene, health and well-being."
- Access Courses
- Arts and Media
- Automotive Engineering
- Built Environment
- Business and Secretarial
- Community Education (Leisure Courses)
- Education and Teaching
- Foundation Studies
- Hair, Beauty and Holistics
- Early Years and Health Care
- Hotel and Catering Studies
- IT and Computing
- Leisure, Tourism and Sport
- Public Services
- Social Work, Social Sciences and Healthcare Professions
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 29th May 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Affiliated Cornish Dressage Festival from 1st Jun 2013 to 2nd Jun 2013
- Unaffiliated Cornish Dressage Festival - 2nd Jun 2013, 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 5th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 12th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday Evening Unaffiliated Showjumping - 19th Jun 2013, 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Open Day & Summer Food Festival from 22nd Jun 2013 to 23rd Jun 2013
- Duchy College Rosewarne Open Day - 23rd Jun 2013, 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Information Morning - 23rd Nov 2013, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 25th Jan 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Information Morning - 15th Mar 2014, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Students use St George to help fundraise for charity - Posted: 29th Apr 2013
- Free Art workshops at Camborne throughout May - Posted: 26th Apr 2013
- Magical Disney trip for students - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- Celebrity chefs launch forum at Cornwall College - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- dBs MUSIC CORNWALL OPEN EVENT & MUSIC INDUSTRY SEMINAR - Posted: 23rd Apr 2013
- World forum beckons for college's ex student - Posted: 18th Apr 2013
- Ryan produces quality videos for industry - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Global menus go down a treat at Cornwall College - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Top NUS roles for former A-level students - Posted: 11th Apr 2013
- Challenging the perceptions of industry? - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Grace Jones' bass player inspires college students - Posted: 10th Apr 2013
- Education event success for college - Posted: 9th Apr 2013
- Power of photography helps college celebrate diversity - Posted: 3rd Apr 2013
- Art students create and design exhibition at Heartlands - Posted: 26th Mar 2013
Cornwall College Camborne