POSITIVE ABOUT DISABLED
The 'Positive about disabled people' symbol has been developed by the UK Employment Service so that employers can show their commitment to good practice in employing disabled people. It also enables disabled people to know which employers will be positive about their abilities.
Employers who use the symbol, including Cornwall College, make five commitments, which relate to recruitment, retaining employees who become disabled, consulting disabled employees, developing greater awareness of disability and reviewing the progress of the employer:
- To interview all applicants who have a disability and meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy, and to consider them on their abilities.
- To ensure that there is a mechanism in place to discuss at any time (but at least once a year) with disabled employees what can be done to make sure that they can develop and use their abilities.
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to ensure that they can stay in employment.
- To take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness that is needed to make the commitments of the employer work.
- Each year, to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan ways to improve on them, and to let employees and the Employment Service know about progress and future plans.
For further information, please contact our Personnel Director